Photograph by Dylan McLaughlin
The Studios at MASS MoCA Residency Program
Since October 2015, The Studios at MASS MoCA have hosted over 400 artists and writers for residencies of up to 10 weeks.
Applications are currently accepted through July 9, 2018, for residency sessions between October 10, 2018 and April 2, 2019.
Click below to check out our application page. (There’s no application fee!)
We provide self-directed residencies of up to 10 weeks for artists and writers. Read below to learn more.
Selected artists receive:
- Private, furnished studio space at MASS MoCA, available 24/7
- Housing (private bedroom/queen bed, shared kitchen, and bath) in newly renovated apartments directly across the street from the museum
- One communal meal per day in the company of fellow artists-in-residence
- MASS MoCA member benefits for the duration of the residency, including free access to the museum’s galleries and discounts on performing arts events and museum store purchases
- Free access to Makers’ Mill (a printmaking and fiber arts makerspace on Main Street in North Adams, offering shared use of two etching presses, a relief press, screen-printing, and book arts equipment, as well as floor looms, sewing machines, small tools, and work tables)
- Optional one-on-one artist-focused financial and business counseling through the Assets for Artists program.
The full-price residency fee is $650/week, but many participants are offered both merit- and need-based financial aid.
For more details on our housing and studios, visit our FAQs.
Questions? Email Krystal Henriquez at email@example.com.
If you want a week-long residency-like experience at MASS MoCA, but with a great instructor to help you reach new heights, and without the angst of a highly competitive application process for a self-directed residency, check out our workshop-in-residence opportunities. They come with all of the benefits of a private 24/7 studio space, private bedroom, and open access to MASS MoCA's galleries, with the added benefit of a workshop-style framework and guidance from professionals in the field. Learn more.
Here’s what artists are saying about their residency experience in the Studios:
Meet Our Residents!
Are you currently an artist-in-residence with the Studios?
Click here to find resources important to you while in town.
Archive: Fall/Winter October 2015 - March 2016
OCTOBER 2016 – MARCH 2017
Federica Di Carlo
Jean Ann Douglass
Milagros Collective, Felici Asteinza & Joey Fillastre
Kwan Taeck Park
Blanche Nettles Powers
Allison Maria Rodriguez
Melissa Vogley Woods
APRIL 2017 – SEPTEMBER 2017
Sasha De Koninck
Ricardo De Lima
Lauren A. Ross
Grace Sachi Troxell
OCTOBER 2017 - MARCH 2018
Jae Na Kwon
Angela Pulido Zorro
APRIL 2018 - SEPTEMBER 2018
Hyun Jung Ahn
Alexandra Forsyth Martinez